12.30.2005

Illustration Friday - Flavor


"It is painful to watch a young man(person) realize that the world is not just joy and happiness, to watch the disintegration of his(her) childlike beauty, faith, and optimism. It is regrettable but necessary-if we are not cast out of the Garden of Eden, there can be no Heavenly Jerusalem. In the Catholic liturgy for Holy Saturday evening there is a beautiful line, "Oh happy fall that was the occasion for so sublime a redemption." Quoted from, Robert A. Johnson, HE: Understanding Masculine Psychology

The moment with the "apple" has always fascinated me. In college we were asked to create a sculpture about a thing of change or mutation. I thought for a long time about the concept behind this assignment. I considered working with wave forms or issues involving time. I thought about significant moments of growth and change in my life. But it was not until I started thinking about the story of the Tree and Adam and Eve that I really became excited about the project. I think eating the apple is such a great symbol of the change in our consciousness. Tasting the apple sets in motion so many dynamic experiences in life. I think that all of us taste the "apple" at some point fairly early in our lives. It is not such a horrible thing, as Johnson says: "if we are not cast out of the Garden of Eden, there can be no Heavenly Jerusalem." As for this flavor topic, well, I couldn't help but revisit that first taste of a changed consciousness.

So here is an Eve-like figure standing below the apple tree, fruit in hand. Many new flavors soon to be born...

Comments on "Illustration Friday - Flavor"

 

Blogger valerie walsh said ... (1:44 PM) : 

beautiful illo and unique perspective on the topic. Very thoughtful!

 

Blogger Fern Lady said ... (7:40 PM) : 

It's a very evocative illustration.

 

post a comment