3.05.2006

one more

…Respect means the concern that the other person should grow and unfold as he/she is. Respect, thus, implies the absence of exploitation. I want the loved person to grow and unfold for his/her own sake, and in his/her own ways, not for the purpose of serving me. If I love the other person, I feel one with him/her as he/she is, not as I need him/her to be as an object for my use. It is clear that respect is possible only if I have achieved independence; if I can stand and walk without needing crutches, without having to dominate and exploit anyone else. Respect exists only on the basis of freedom: “l’amour est l’enfant de la liberte’” as an old French song says; love is the child of freedom, never that of domination.
Erich Fromm – The Art of Loving

Comments on "one more"

 

post a comment